A chocolate pie filling, with only 2 ingredients – why wouldn’t you want to make it?
I came up with this simple recipe in a very spontaneous and random way and it turned out to be awesome! It all started when I was making sweet cookies with my little girl Ocean. As we were making the cookies there was one last piece of dough that wouldn’t fit the tray. Not wanting to chuck it I started thinking what I could make from it. My first step was to put it in a pie tray. A week before my husband had made a cake and he noted how much it tasted like the Alpro chocolate pudding so I thought maybe I could bake with that. I knew that I didnt have enough to fill the pie so I decided to add some dark chocolate and voila! A gorgeous vegan chocolate pie, extra chocolaty!
You can mix the filling with any flavouring you like – e.g. mint, orange, raisin and nuts, cherries, Irish coffee or any vegan liquer that you can think of… The list is long, and you can really play with it, just keep the base recipe the same.
I couldn’t resist and wait until the morning to take beautiful photos which is why there is no decoration or fancy things. It is what it is, simple and tasty.
Vegan Chocolate Pie recipe
For the pastry:
180g self raising flour
120g brown sugar
40ml either: Grapeseed oil, coconut oil or other cooking oil
40ml vanilla soya milk
For the filling:
3x Alpro chocolate puddings (125g each)
225g dark chocolate
You will need 3 medium sized pie trays 12cm diameter by 3cm depth (You can also make it in a 24cm medium dish.)
Making the Pastry:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Knead all the pastry ingredients into an even and non sticky dough and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Knead again until the dough is soft and pliable. Use a rolling pin on the dough to flatten it and cut a round piece large enough to fill the baking tray including the sides.
- Bake for 7 mins at 180 degrees. After baking, allow to cool and you will notice that the pastry has risen and become puffed. Use your fingers to press the dough back to the sides and bottom to allow more room for the filling.
Making the filling:
- Melt the chocolate using a bowl immersed in a saucepan of heated water.
- Once melted, blend in the chocolate puddings.
Making the pie:
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the pastry lined pie dishes and place them in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Remove from the oven. The chocolate mixture will still look wobbly in the middle which is good.
- Allow to cool down at room temperature and then place in the fridge to firm for at least 4 hours before serving.