Summers finally arrived here in England and what better way to enjoy the sun than a classy vegan cocktail cupcake by the pool?
These could also work for your next cocktail party! Vegan cocktail cupcake anyone?
Be ware! These babies are of the fun kind rather than the healthy one…
What you will need:
- 6 x GLASS cocktail glasses (check they are ALL glass and not plastic!!)
- Some sprinkles (any colours)
- 50g vegan chocolate
- Cocktail umbrellas or fruit or sweets for decoration
- 1 ½ cups self raising flour (sieved unless you want lumps!)
- pinch of salt
- ¾ cup vegan caster sugar
- ¾ cup soya milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ cup vegetable/ sunflower/ canola oil (NOT OLIVE!)
- Egg replacer for 1 egg (you can use either egg replacer powder, or 1 tbsp ground flax seeds+ 3 tbsp water, or 2 tbsp corn flour+2 tbsp water)
- Food colourings of your choice (I prefer the paste types for a brighter colour but you can also go natural)
- 250g vegan margarine
- 500g vegan icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- Food colourings of your choice (Again, I prefer the paste types for a brighter colour but you can also go natural)
First you need to make the cake!
- Preheat your oven to 160°C.
- In a nice big bowl add all the cake ingredients together and mix with a hand mixer until “just mixed”.
- Split batter into little bowls depending on how many colours you’d like.
- Add a nice big blob of food colouring into each bowl and mix well with a spoon (add more than you think as baked cake loses some of its colour!)
- Carefully spoon your batters into each cocktail glass until about ½ full.
- Carefully pop them in the oven on a baking tray and bake for 15 min.
- Take them out and allow to fully cool but don’t touch them as the glass gets super hot!
- If they’ve domed, don’t worry! When they’re COOL just slice off the top with a sharp knife and you’re fine!
Now for the sprinkle rim!
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave for 10 second intervals until melted or over a double boiler (in a glass bowl over a saucepan of boiling water).
- Dip the rim of the glass in the chocolate and lift up and allow the excess to drip off.
- Once the drippings stopped dip the rim in a bowl of sprinkles and leave to cool.
Now for the icing!
- In a stand mixer blend together the margarine, vanilla and icing sugar.
- Separate into microwave safe bowls and colour again with food colouring.
- Pop each bowl into the microwave for 5 seconds until its all melted then you can pour over each cake and leave to set (you can pop it in the fridge if you’d like)
- Now decorate! Have fun and make them anyway you like! Add fruit, sweets, coconut or umbrellas and enjoy!
More Vegan desserts? Check out these babies!