I had bought the Vegan Yum Yum cookbook a while back and every recipe I have ever made from it was a HUGE successes.
But when I wanted to make Lauren Ulm’s Rainbow Rice and Beans, I was missing a few ingredients. So I started messing about and in the two years I have been making this rice I have made a few alterations and received quite of a few compliments over this gorgeous dish.
So here is my variation. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, it is very tasty and simple to make!
What you will need:
– 1 cup of Basmatic or wholemeal rice
– ¾ cup chopped leek
– 2 big carrots grated
– 1 red bell pepper chopped into stripes
– 1 yellow bell pepper chopped into stripes
– 1 cup frozen peas
– 1 cup frozen corn
– Soy sauce
– Sesame oil (optional)
– Olive oil (optional)
2 tea spoons ground Cumin
1 tea spoon Mustard seeds
1 tea spoon red Chilli flakes
2 tea spoons Coriander
How to prepare:
– Prepare your rice and set a side (one and a half cups of water over 1 cup Basmatic rice, or 1 and ¾ cups of water over a cup of Wholemeal rice).
– Warm up and stir all the spices in a large skillet on a medium /high heat with either a splash of olive oil or a tablespoon of water, being careful not to burn (you will be caughing for ages if they over-heat!).
– When spices are warm, add in the Leek and stir again for another 2 minutes. Add in two tablespoons of Soy sauce and stir for Another 3 or so minutes (until the Leek softens up and starts to fry).
– Add in the carrots, stir well and cover with lid for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the red and yellow peppers, stir well and cover with lid for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the corn and peas, stir well, add 2 more table spoons of soy sauce and cover with lid for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
– When all the veg are properly cooked, turn off the heat, stir and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Then mix the vegetables with the rice you set aside, and add soy sauce to taste.
– I recommend sprinkling a tiny bit of sesame oil for a dazzling deep aromatic flavour.